PTSA E-Tidbit News
5/22/17 PTSA E-Blast
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)!
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
522-5/26 – SOL Testing
5/25 – Marching Band Interest Meeting, 7 pm
5/26 – 2 hour early release
5/29 – Memorial Day Holiday (no school)
5/31 – Last day before All Night Grad Party tickets price increases!
Here are several updates from around the school:
- 2017-2018 PTSA Openings: Many of the current volunteers’ students are graduating and new volunteers are needed for the following positions for next year. They are: Secretary, Publicity, Silent Auction (needed asap!) and Fundraising (Ways and Means-but not the mulch sale). If you are interested or have questions, please contact Tricia Monroe at email@example.com Please help make a positive impact on all Westfield students, staff, and families!
- SOL Testing is Underway: Students who are taking SOLs have received a brightly colored schedule that lists each test, the time the test begins and the location. Please remind your student that cell phones and electronics are not permitted in the test. Please avoid appointments on the days your student is testing and remind them to be on time to their tests. With Westfield having over 6,000 tests to administer, everyone’s help is needed!
- ANGP Tickets are on sale now! Class of 2017 All Night Grad Celebration tickets are now on sale. They are currently $60 each. The price goes up to $70 on June 1st and the deadline to buy tickets is June 7th. This year’s event begins at Westfield for check-in and then students will be bused to Uptown Alley and Autobahn where they will spend the evening bowling in the black-light alley, playing laser tag, driving the autobahn speedway, playing unlimited arcade games, dancing to a fabulous DJ, playing pool, eating, and having chances to win fantastic prizes! Order online, download the ticket form and send it to the main office, or pick up a form in the main office. Remember to also complete the risk forms that are found online or attached to this email. Every attendee must have completed permission forms and a parent/guardian must sign, even if the student is 18 years old. Don’t miss the fun! Not sure if you’ve ordered already or want to see who’s signed up, click here This is a “will call” event. A detailed email will be sent to ticket purchasers soon that will include information on sign-ups for the autobahn and bowling lanes, as well as bus sign-ups. Sign-ups are first-come, first-served, based on when the graduate’s ticket was purchased.
- ANGP Volunteers Needed: Parents/guardians of all class years are needed for the All Night Grad Celebration! Shifts begin at 10:30 (check-in, set-up) and continue through the evening! Needs include: bus chaperones, security, and activities. To see what’s needed and to sign up, click here
- Have you ordered a yearbook yet? The cost for the 2016-2017 WHS Yearbook is now $85, cash only! See Ms. Naeve for information.
- Bulldog BBQ Tuesday, Aug 22nd ( 5:00 -7:30 p.m. ) ! Plans are underway for the 2017-2018 Bulldog BBQ! If your Westfield HS Activities Office officially sanctioned club or group would like to have a table or do any type of fundraising, you will need to complete a request form. Forms are being placed in school mailboxes today, you can complete the form electronically https://goo.gl/forms/XrmLeDUIaQrsQBco2 or you can print the attached form and return Fundraisers are not final until approved by the Bulldog BBQ Committee, in conjunction with the Westfield Activities Office (per FCPS regulations). For more information email Jeanette Schutte (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Color Guard Spring Clinics: Westfield Color Guard spring clinics are open to all Westfield students, including incoming freshmen! Clinics will be held Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-8:30 pm through May 25th. Please wear comfortable clothes you can easily move in (athletic shorts and t-shirt) and bring/wear athletic shoes (you may go outside). Bring a friend!! Come be part of this award winning program that combines artistic expression, athleticism, and grace!
- Donations for ANGP Prizes requested: Plans are currently being made for the All Night Graduation Party for our seniors. It is set to be one of the best ANGP’s yet! One part of this fun evening is when students win door prizes -anything from gift cards to haircuts/nail services to college spirit wear to college dorm or apartment essentials – anything a graduating senior might enjoy. If you own a business, know someone who owns a business, or would just like to make a donation to the door prizes, please contact Cathy Roberson at 703-725-9341 or email@example.com. Any and all items are appreciated! Thank you to all who have already donated!
- VHSL Sports Physicals at Westfield: On June 21st from 5:30-7:30 pm, WHS will host the annual sports physicals night. The cost is $50 per preregistered student and takes about an hour to complete. Proceeds are donated to the FCPS Athletic Training Program and help treat injured Bulldog athletes. All physicals will be kept on file at Westfield and will be good for the 2017-2018 school year. Physicals are comprehensive and include a physical exam, flexibility and strength assessment, posture screening and a vision exam. Register by clicking here and scrolling to the bottom. Questions? Contact Ms. Partner at firstname.lastname@example.org
- No more checks at WHS does not apply to the PTSA: You may have heard that Westfield HS has stopped accepting checks as a method of payment for the remainder of the school year. This does not apply to anything related to the PTSA – including ANGP tickets. It does apply to prom tickets, fees/fines, and any other money owed to the school.
- Summer Math Refresher Camp: The math refresher camp will run August 7th-11th from 9-11:30 am and is a summer program designed to prepare students for their fall math class - Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry, or Pre-Calculus. The camp is FREE for all Westfield students! Registration is required and the firm deadline to register is July 7th. To register, complete the attached registration form and submit it electronically to Ms. Sweitzer at email@example.com
- Turbo-Tutoring: The next ACT prep class is June 7th from 6:30-9:15 pm. To see the calendar and to register for a one-day seminar for SAT or ACT prep, click here.
- Senior Families: Mark your calendars! Baccalaureate for the Class of 2017 will be held June 11th from 5-6 pm.
- WHS Scientists attend International Fair: Congratulations to Palash Shah and Nicholas Lin and their teacher Mrs. Constantino! Nicholas and Palash represented Westfield at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair in Los Angeles last week! Their science fair projects qualified them to be part of the event!
- Boys Track - Conference Champions! Congratulations to the boys' track team and their coaches for winning the conference title! Congratulations to the following individual champions: Gabe Abbe; Nauz Calhoun; Darnell Gardner; Mason Joiner; 4 X 100 Relay team of Marquise Murphy, Alex Shadkhoo, Darnell Gardner, and Davian Powell; 4 X 400 Relay team of Brett Shaffer, Bryce Snyder, Michael Gary, and Cameron Howard! Good luck at Regionals!
- Girls Track Individual Winners: Congratulations to the following individual conference champs: Talley Lott (3 different events!); Lauren Anderson; Ameena Benselloum; and Tayelor Thrasher! Good luck at Regionals this week!
- Mulch Weekend Business “Thank Yous”: We would like to give a big thank you to our donors and sponsors! Please remember these companies and groups and consider supporting them, just as they support Westfield!
15. FCPS 2017-2018 Calendar: You can see next year’s school calendar here. Remember, school starts August 28th!
16. mySATadvisor.com: An option for SAT prep is mySATadvisor.com Online, unlimited practice and analytics on College Board tests and other popular test publishers. Improve speed and accuracy, practice missed or bookmarked questions, and more. Use promo code WHSPTSA20 for a 20% discount.
17. FCPS Parent Resource Center: There are many resources available at the FCPS Parent Resource center. For information and to register for classes, visit here.
- News You Can Use: If you haven’t already done so, please register to receive PTSA updates through the FCPS News You Can Use program. It’s a bit cumbersome to register but soon, this will be the way the PTSA will send messages. To register: Go to FCPS.edu; Scroll to the bottom then click on the mustard yellow banner “Stay Updated with What’s Happening at FCPS with News You Can Choose; Click the “Sign Up Now box; Enter your email address and click “submit”; Find the button for “High Schools” and select “Westfield”; Choose first line “News and Announcements” then choose second line “PTSA” and click submit. You will see a green banner with a check mark and “Subscriptions Updated”. While in the system, you can opt for other areas of interest as well.
- Athletic Teams Calendar: To see the games/matches/meets for all WHS athletic teams, click here!
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you!
- Silent Fundraisers: We participate in several store school support programs, such as Giant’s A+ School Rewards and Harris Teeter’s Together in Education program. You DO have to relink your Harris Teeter card each year but you do not have to relink your Giant card (but please check to ensure that you’ve designated Westfield!) Please check out this link for more information!
- Have something about a club, team, or class at Westfield that you’d like in the e-blast? Send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
Good Luck to all Spring Sports teams and athletes as continue in the post season!
Congratulations to WHS Crew team members who represented Westfield well at that Stotesbury Cup Regatta in Philadelphia – largest high school regatta in the world!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.