PTSA E-Tidbit News
3/6/17 PTSA E-Blast
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)!
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
3/7 – Chorus Concert, 7:30 pm
3/8 – Partners for Safe Teen Driving, arrive at 6:40 pm
3/8 – Turbo Tutoring SAT prep, 6:30 pm
3/12 – Daylight Savings Time (“spring forward” one hour)
3/16 – Saturday Night in the Suburbs presentation, 7 pm
Here are several updates from around the school:
- PTSA Board Opening: The PTSA has an opening for the 1st Vice President spot. This position supports the President and learns the role, with the anticipation of becoming the future President (2018-2019 school year). If you are interested or have questions, please contact Tricia Monroe at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2017 Mulch Sale and Delivery: The annual mulch sale is close to selling out for orders requesting free delivery (15 bags or more) and for the spreading service! Delivery will take place on April 21st and 22nd. To order online, click here. To download the order form, click here. Bags are $5 each, with $2.60 of each bag ordered being tax deductible. The mulch spreading service is being sold and is available for customers who purchase mulch through the mulch sale. Free delivery is available for orders of 15 bags or more to WHS boundary addresses and parking lot pick up is available at Westfield for orders under 15 bags and those outside WHS boundaries.
- Please join the PTSA if you haven’t already: It’s not too late to join the PTSA! Please be part of the difference that the PTSA makes at Westfield! Join online here or using the link online, print the form and send in to the main office. Your participation matters! Students and staff members – only $5 to join! Others – only $10! If you receive and appreciate these weekly eblasts, we hope you are a member and if you are not, ask that you please join.
- English 11 Writing SOLs: Students in all 11th grade English classes are taking the 2-part writing SOL this week, starting Tuesday. They have been informed by their English teachers about when and where they will take the tests. Please avoid scheduling appointments on the days your student is testing. Students who will miss one or both parts due to the band and theatre trips will test next week and will be informed about make up dates.
- BITS Tutoring - Free! BITS runs up to 3 Saturday mornings per month. Student tutors are needed and earn service hours for their time! To be eligible for tutoring, students must attend Westfield or any of the schools that feed to Westfield (elementary and middle). For information and to see the required forms, click here Everyone must arrive on time. No late arrivals will be admitted. March 11th and 18th are the next BITS tutoring dates.
- Partners for Safe Teen Driving: On Wednesday, March 8th in the auditorium, WHS will hold one of the required PSTD seminars. This course is part of the driver’s education curriculum and a parent/guardian must accompany the student. Doors close at 7 pm. It is strongly suggested that you arrive by 6:40 pm, as no late arrivals will be admitted. For information, click here
- Saturday Night in the Suburbs: Thursday, 3/16 at 7 pm. Come learn from a panel of current seniors about what’s happening in the area on the weekend. The program is sponsored by the WHS PTSA and run by the United Prevention Coalition of Fairfax County. This is for adults only and we encourage middle school and high school parents to attend. Please invite your neighbors. For information, click here.
- Special Education Conference: On Saturday, April 1st from 8 am to 3 pm at Hayfield Secondary School, FCPS is hosting a Special Education conference. The conference, designed for parents and educators or students who receive special education services or have learning challenges or special needs, will feature Nancy Mather, Ph.D., professor of special education at the University of Arizona, as keynote speaker. She will address issues affecting the identification of students who struggle with reading and appropriate interventions. For more information, click here.
- Turbo-Tutoring: Next SAT prep class is this Wednesday, March 8th from 6:30 pm-9:15 pm at Briar Woods High School, plus classes through the summer have been scheduled. To see the calendar and to register for a one-day seminar for SAT or ACT prep, click here or see the flier attached at the bottom of the e-blast.
- ANGP Chipotle Fundraiser: Please mark your calendars! On March 20th from 5-8 pm, there will be a Chipotle fundraiser for the All Night Grad Celebration at the Chipotle at 5049 Westfield Blvd. Please bring the attached flier, enjoy a yummy dinner, and support the class of 2017’s ANGP!
- Winter Guard and Indoor Drumline Exhibition: On March 24th at 7 pm, the WHS Winter Guard and Indoor Drumline will present an exhibition performance in the gym. Please come see what these groups have been working on! It’s free!
- Atleta at Tyson’s Corner is offering WHS students and staff a 25% discount this week, March 9th–13th. See attached flier for details.
- Honor Roll Magnets: Sophomores, juniors, and seniors who qualified for the honor roll in either 1st or 2nd quarter who would like an honor roll magnet can stop by Student Services between 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm to pick one up. Freshmen should have received theirs in their 7th period classes. (Thank you 7th period teachers for distributing these!)
- Real Food for Kids Wellness Expo: On March 11th from 10 am – 2 pm at Lake Braddock Secondary School come learn about healthy eating. Presentations include workshops and chef demonstrations. The PTA member discounted price is $10. For more information and to register (required), click here.
- FCCPTA Scholarship deadline is April 7th: For information, click here.
- Senior Parent Meeting: Senior Parents – please mark your calendars for the “70 Days Until Graduation” Senior Parent meeting on April 6th at 7 pm. Come learn about everything related to graduation (June 15th at 7:30 pm), including ticket information (yes, tickets are required), rehearsal information (required for all students who will be graduating), prom information (May 13th), Mulch Day (April 21-22), All Night Grad Celebration, and much more!
- New for the 2017-2018 school year: WHS will be offering a new science course-Genetics and Biotechnology available for juniors and seniors! Please have your student talk to his/her counselor soon for more information and to sign up!
- FCPS 2017-2018 Calendar: You can see next year’s school calendar here. Remember, school starts August 28th!
- Understanding Financial Aid Award Letters: On March 11th from 9-11 am at Oakton High School, College Access Fairfax will present “Make a Wise Decision: Understanding Financial Aid Award Letters”. Space is limited. To register, visit here.
- Westfields Triathlon: The Westfield Business Owner’s Association is sponsoring the 5th annual Westfields Triathlon on April 30th! The WBOA is a fantastic business partner for our school! Please consider supporting the triathlon as a participant or volunteer! For information, click here.
- Westfield 5K for Bouveron and Greiner: The SGA is sponsoring this event on Sunday, May 20th. To register, please click here.
- College Partnership Program: Applications for the College Partnership Program are being accepted now. The College Partnerships Program assists students who are traditionally underrepresented in higher education such as first generation, African American, American Indian, Alaskan native, Hispanic, limited English proficient, students with disabilities or economically disadvantaged students. See Mrs. Campbell, Ms. Craig, or Ms. Snyder, CPP advocates, for more information or to request an application. Or, visit here. Applications accepted January 18 – March 31, 2017.
- FCPS Parent Resource Center: There are many resources available at the FCPS Parent Resource center. For information and to register for classes, visit here.
- FCPS Summer Classes: Information regarding a wide variety of summer classes through FCPS is available here. Many registration windows opened February 1st.
- News You Can Use: If you haven’t already done so, please register to receive PTSA updates through the FCPS News You Can Use program. It’s a bit cumbersome to register but this is the main way the PTSA will be able to send messages (other than the eblasts and Facebook) in the near future. To register: Go to FCPS.edu; Scroll to the bottom then click on the mustard yellow banner “Stay Updated with What’s Happening at FCPS with News You Can Choose; Click the “Sign Up Now box; Enter your email address and click “submit”; Find the button for “High Schools” and select “Westfield”; Choose first line “News and Announcements” then choose second line “PTSA” and click submit. You will see a green banner with a check mark and “Subscriptions Updated”. While in the system, you can opt for other areas of interest as well.
- Athletic Teams Calendar: To see the games/matches/meets for all WHS athletic teams, click here!
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you!
- Silent Fundraisers: We participate in several store school support programs, such as Giant’s A+ School Rewards and Harris Teeter’s Together in Education program. You DO have to relink your Harris Teeter card each year but you do not have to relink your Giant card (but please check to ensure that you’ve designated Westfield!) Please check out this link for more information!
- Have something about a club, team, or class at Westfield that you’d like in the e-blast? Send a request to email@example.com\
Congratulations to Elizabeth Thomas who was selected for the Virginia All-State Chorus and also for the ACDA National High School Chorus!
Congratulations to the following band students who successfully auditioned for the Virginia All-State Band: Aislin Carpenter, Ethan Hanover, Lucas Kremer, and Jean Moon!
Congratulations to the WHS Band Program which earned the Honor Band status for the 12th time! Honor Band is earned when superior ratings are awarded at both the marching band and wind symphony assessments. There are not many Virginia High Schools that consistently earn this achievement.
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.