PTSA E-Tidbit News
10/16/17 PTSA E-Blast
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)!
10/18 – Turbo Tutoring Prep Class (ACT)
10/19 – PTSA Meeting, Guest Administrator: Sonya Williams (Student Services)
10/19-10/21 – Theatre’s Haunted House
10/24 – Fall Chorus Concert
10/26 – Fall Orchestra Concert
11/2 – Fall Band Concert
11/3 – End of First Quarter, 2-hour early release
11/10 – Reflections Contest Submission Deadline (see #6 below)
Here are several updates we know about from around the school:
- ISO: All Night Graduation Celebration Chair/Co-Chair: There is a critical need for someone to head up the 2018 All Night Grad Celebration! This person (or pair of people) can be parents/guardians from any grade! This person or team will work with a committee of volunteers (these volunteers also needed!) to plan, organize and run the event. There is a budget to work with, with most of the event funded by the spring mulch sale and ticket sales. This is a traditional event with the main goal of providing a safe event following graduation. Please contact Tricia Monroe at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to volunteer! Please help spread the word. It is getting late and planning needs to begin asap.
- PTSA Meeting, Thursday October 19th at 7 pm: Dr, Copeland and Ms. Sonya Williams, the new Director of Student Services, will be in attendance. Please join us for an opportunity to meet Ms. Williams and ask questions you may have. The Director of Student Services manages a variety of areas including the school guidance counselor staff, course selections/offerings, the career center, and more. Do you wonder how courses are planned for the following year and what happens when changes are requested or needed? Or how course times are established? Bring your questions!
- Publicity Chair Needed: The primary role of this position (though it can be molded) is to help promote the mulch and ANGP events by creating fliers, taking pictures, putting together a slide show/video to show parents and students. This is an open-ended role, with room for creativity.
- PTSA Membership: If you haven’t already, please join the PTSA this year. You can join online here.
- Yearbook Senior Ads: The yearbook has a few remaining spaces available for senior ads and will be accepting submissions until the spots are filled. Go to yearbookordercenter.com to pay for the ad and create your own or choose the option to have the yearbook staff make it for you. You may also complete the attached order form and return it to Ms. Naeve’s mailbox in the main office.
- Reflections Arts Contest Deadline is November 10th: This year’s theme is “Within Reach”. Entries may be made in the following categories: dance choreography, film production, literature, musical composition, photography, and visual arts. For rules and directions, click here. Submissions should be turned in to the front office by November 10th. Thank you to Mr. Sutliff, a WHS alum parent, for coordinating the program again this year!
- Ms. Florimonte’s Art is on Display!: Congratulations to Ms. Florimonte! Her art has been selected to be part of the 10th Annual Artist Teacher Exhibition, which takes place from 9/27-10/28. For information about the exhibit, click here
- Superintendent Brabrand is holding community meetings: There are five scheduled community meetings scheduled this fall. The closest to Westfield are October 18th at Hughes Middle School in Reston and November 28th at Chantilly High School. Interpreters will be available but attendees needing the service need to register ahead of time to ensure an interpreter is available. For information, click here.
- Foster’s Grille Fundraiser: On Monday, October 30th, the chorus will be having a dinner fundraiser at Foster’s Grille at Westone Plaza! A portion of sales between 4-9 pm that day will be given directly to the WHS Chorus program! Thank you to Foster’s, a wonderful community supporter of our school!
- Senior Families: Did you miss the Financial Aide Night last week: You can listen to the presentation here
- Support across the school: Did you know that there are a number of different booster groups around the school? Your support makes it possible for the different groups to support our students. Please consider joining and support the efforts for maintaining the high level of performance Westfield students are known for!
- PTSA: Academic Booster group. Join here to help support all students, staff and families at Westfield.
- Westfield Athletic Boosters (WABC): Buying a season pass gives access to home regular season sporting events and supports all student athletes at WHS. The membership form is attached at the bottom of the eblast.
- Wesfield Theatre Boosters: Join here to help support the award-winning theatre program.
- Westfield Band Boosters: The membership form is attached at the bottom of the eblast. Join to support the award-winning band program.
- WHS Choral Boosters: Please contact Mrs. Pierce at email@example.com for information about supporting the chorus program.
- WHS Orchestra Boosters: Please contact Mr. Rupert at firstname.lastname@example.org to support the orchestra program.
- Easy ways to Support the Westfield:
- -Giant Food: Please register your Giant bonus card. It has to be registered every year and can be done at: https://giantfood.com/school-rewards Our school code is 03798. The program runs October 6th – March 15th.
- -Harris Teeter: Register your VIC card at http://www.harristeeter.com/community/together_in_education/link_to_your_school.aspx Our school code is 8134.
- -Office Depot: When checking out at the register, please ask them to credit Westfield HS. The code is 70115228. They’ll give 5% back to the school!
- -Amazon: Please click on the link on the right side of the PTSA’s webpage before ordering! www.ptsa.westfieldhs.org
- -Shutterfly: Please click here to give 13% of your purchase back to the school!
- Crew Open Rowing: Interested in learning more about rowing? Current crew team members – ready to get back on the water? Open Row Days, also known as Green Days, offer great opportunities for potential rowers/coxswains to see how it feels to be out on the water and for existing rowers/coxswains to get in some practice during the off-season. All WHS students welcome to participate. You must sign up in advance to participate. Open Row Days are each of the October Saturdays from 9:00-11:30 am at the Bull Run Marina. For more information, all the needed forms, and to sign up, click here.
- Senior Families: Attached is an information letter with important dates for the Class of 2018.
- ASVAB Career Aptitude Test: This test will be given on November 2nd. Students wishing to take it must enroll in the Career Center by October 27th.
- Scholarships, Enrichment, and Volunteer Information: Students interested in scholarships, enrichment, and volunteering should stop by the Career Center! There is ever-changing list information available!
- Apprenticeship and Skilled Workforce Career Fair: On November 16th from 11 am to 2 pm at Edison High School, more than 30 employers and trade schools will be present to discuss opportunities. Exhibitors include Dominion Electric, National Park Services, and Wegmans. Students should stop by the Career Center for more information.
- Sophomores: Applications to represent Westfield at the Hugh O’Brian Youth State Leadership Seminar are due Friday, October 27th. The seminar will be held at JMU June 2-4, 2018 and is designed to prepare students to become effective, ethical leaders in their home, school, and community. The application is attached.
- Turbo Tutoring SAT and ACT Prep: SAT and ACT prep classes are offered by Turbo Tutoring throughout the year. For information and to register, see the attached flier or click here. The next ACT class is at Briar Woods on 10/18.
- FCPS 2017-2018 Calendar: You can see next year’s school calendar
- mySATadvisor.com: An option for SAT prep is mySATadvisor.com Online, unlimited practice and analytics on College Board tests and other popular test publishers. Improve speed and accuracy, practice missed or bookmarked questions, and more. Use promo code WHSPTSA20 for a 20% discount.
- FCPS Parent Resource Center:There are many resources available at the FCPS Parent Resource center. For information and to register for classes, visit Upcoming presentations: 10/20 – Social Impact of ADHD and 10/24-Post Secondary Education Planning.
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpageEvery order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you!
- Have something about a club, team, or class at Westfield that you’d like in the e-blast?Send a request to email@example.com
Good luck to all sports teams entering and continuing in post-season play and to the marching band as they prepare
for their VBODA assessment this weekend!
Congratulations to Danielle Suh – 1st Team Northern Region for Girls Golf!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.