PTSA E-Tidbit News
10/4/17 PTSA E-Blast
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)!
HAPPENINGS (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
10/6 – Homecoming Parade, Volunteer Drivers Needed
10/7 – Homecoming Dance, Volunteers needed
10/9 – No School, Columbus Day Holiday
10/11 – PSAT Day, Early dismissal
10/11 – Senior Meeting and Panoramic Picture (breakfast donations needed)
10/11 – Financial Aide Night, Centreville HS, 7 pm
Here are several updates we know about from around the school:
- Request for drivers the October 6th Homecoming Parade: Adult volunteers are needed to drive the donated convertibles and trucks THIS Friday at the Homecoming parade! Please sign up at this link! Drivers meet at Chantilly National Country Club and the parade ends after circling the neighborhood around Cub Run Elementary. Drivers are needed from 4:15-6 pm.
- Homecoming Information: Spirit week is 10/2-10/6, the parade is Friday, 10/6 (4:45-ish starting at Chantilly National Country Club) followed by the football game vs. Madison at 7 pm. The dance is at Westfield on Saturday, 10/7, from 8-11 pm. Tickets will be sold during lunches during sprint week. Tickets are $20/each.
- Homecoming Volunteers Needed: Volunteers are needed at the dance on 10/7 (click here)
- Senior Class Parent Volunteer Needed for Homecoming Parade: Donations of candy for the seniors to throw out during the parade are needed (drop off in SubSchool 4) and a parent driver for the senior float (firstname.lastname@example.org) is needed.
- PTSA Committee Chair Openings: A few volunteers are needed to coordinate the following committees:
- -All Night Graduation Celebration Chair/Co-Chair: Without a chair or co-chair, there will be no ANGP event for the class of 2018. The chair, along with committee (volunteers also needed), will identify the location of the event and coordinate the planning of it, within budget.
- -Publicity Chair: The primary role of this position (though it can be molded) is to help promote the mulch and ANGP events by creating fliers, taking pictures, putting together a slide show/video to show parents and students. This is an open-ended role, with room for creativity.
- PSAT Information: PSAT Day is Wednesday, October 11th. Freshmen will take the College Board PSAT 8/9 and sophomores and juniors will take the PSAT-NMSQT. FCPS pays for the score reports for 9th and 10th grade students. If you are a junior parent and would like the score report and for your student to be entered into National Merit Scholarship consideration, a fee of $20 is required. The form is attached or you may pay online at myschoolbucks.com (search from PSAT-NMSQT fee). Please note: there is a new deadline of October 6th.
- Senior Class Meeting and Panoramic Photo, October 11th – Seniors are required to attend a senior class meeting, starting at 8:10 in the cafeteria. The senior class panoramic picture will be also taken. The class would like to offer a light breakfast but needs help with donations please. If you can donate, please drop off in the cafeteria between 7:30-8 am (or your senior can bring it!). Suggestions include juice, water, bagels, pastries, cups, napkins, etc. Questions? Contact Ms. Cespedes, email@example.com
- PTSA Membership: If you haven’t already, please join the PTSA this year. You can join online here.
- College Fair Nights: On Sunday, October 15th, there will be a college fair night at Fair Oaks Mall. About 400 colleges will have representatives there to speak with prospective students. On Monday, October 16th, the fair will be held again at Hayfield Secondary School. To register or for more information, click here.
- Florimonte’s Art is on Display!: Congratulations to Ms. Florimonte! Her art has been selected to be part of the 10th Annual Artist Teacher Exhibition, which takes place from 9/27-10/28. For information about the exhibit, click here
- WHS Student Directory Purchase: To reserve a copy of the WHS Student Directory, indicate the number you’d like using the PTSA Membership form. The form is online and attached.
- Support across the school: Did you know that there are a number of different booster groups around the school? Your support makes it possible for the different groups to support our students. Please consider joining and support the efforts for maintaining the high level of performance Westfield students are known for!
- PTSA: Academic Booster group. Join here to help support all students, staff and families at Westfield.
- Westfield Athletic Boosters (WABC): Buying a season pass gives access to home regular season sporting events and supports all student athletes at WHS. The membership form is attached at the bottom of the eblast.
- Wesfield Theatre Boosters: Join here to help support the award-winning theatre program.
- Westfield Band Boosters: The membership form is attached at the bottom of the eblast. Join to support the award-winning band program.
- WHS Choral Boosters: Please contact Mrs. Pierce at firstname.lastname@example.org for information about supporting the chorus program.
- WHS Orchestra Boosters: Please contact Mr. Rupert at email@example.com to support the orchestra program.
- Easy ways to Support the Westfield while you're shopping:
- -Giant Food: Please register your Giant bonus card. It has to be registered every year and can be done at: https://giantfood.com/school-rewards Our school code is 03798. The program runs October 6th – March 15th.
- -Harris Teeter: Register your VIC card at http://www.harristeeter.com/community/together_in_education/link_to_your_school.aspx Our school code is 8134.
- -Office Depot: When checking out at the register, please ask them to credit Westfield HS. The code is 70115228. They’ll give 5% back to the school!
- -Amazon: Please click on the link on the right side of the PTSA’s webpage before ordering! www.ptsa.westfieldhs.org
- -Shutterfly: Please click here to give 13% of your purchase back to the school!
- Crew Open Rowing: Interested in learning more about rowing? Current crew team members – ready to get back on the water? Open Row Days, also known as Green Days, offer great opportunities for potential rowers/coxswains to see how it feels to be out on the water and for existing rowers/coxswains to get in some practice during the off-season. All WHS students welcome to participate. You must sign up in advance to participate. Open Row Days are each of the October Saturdays from 9:00-11:30 am at the Bull Run Marina. For more information, all the needed forms, and to sign up, click here.
- Senior Families: Attached is an information letter with important dates for the Class of 2018.
- ASVAB Career Aptitude Test: This test will be given on November 2nd. Students wishing to take it must enroll in the Career Center by October 27th.
- Scholarships, Enrichment, and Volunteer Information: Students interested in scholarships, enrichment, and volunteering should stop by the Career Center! There is ever-changing list information available!
- Apprenticeship and Skilled Workforce Career Fair: On November 16th from 11 am to 2 pm at Edison High School, more than 30 employers and trade schools will be present to discuss opportunities. Exhibitors include Dominion Electric, National Park Services, and Wegmans. Students should stop by the Career Center for more information.
- Sophomores: Applications to represent Westfield at the Hugh O’Brian Youth State Leadership Seminar are due Friday, October 27th. The seminar will be held at JMU June 2-4, 2018 and is designed to prepare students to become effective, ethical leaders in their home, school, and community. The application is attached.
- Turbo Tutoring SAT and ACT Prep: SAT and ACT prep classes are offered by Turbo Tutoring throughout the year. For information and to register, see the attached flier or click here. The next ACT class is at Briar Woods on 10/18.
- FCPS 2017-2018 Calendar: You can see next year’s school calendar
- mySATadvisor.com: An option for SAT prep is mySATadvisor.com Online, unlimited practice and analytics on College Board tests and other popular test publishers. Improve speed and accuracy, practice missed or bookmarked questions, and more. Use promo code WHSPTSA20 for a 20% discount.
- FCPS Parent Resource Center:There are many resources available at the FCPS Parent Resource center. For information and to register for classes, visit Upcoming presentations: 10/20 – Social Impact of ADHD and 10/24-Post Secondary Education Planning.
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpageEvery order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you!
- Have something about a club, team, or class at Westfield that you’d like in the e-blast?Send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thank you Silent Auction Donors:
WHS Orchestra Boosters
Know someone new to Westfield next year? Please encourage them to join the PTSA and sign up for the PTSA’s eblasts!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.