PTSA E-Tidbit News
8/12/17 PTSA E-Blast
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)!
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
8/16 - Freshman Parent Night, 7 pm
8/18 – Essential Forms Collection, 9 am - 3 pm (volunteers requested)
8/21 – Essential Forms Collection, 9 am – 3 pm (volunteers requested)
8/22 – Bulldog BBQ, 5-7:30 pm (many volunteers needed please)
8/28 - First day of school!
Here are several updates from around the school:
- 2017-2018 PTSA Openings– Volunteers Needed Please—incoming freshman parents-this is a great opportunity to get in to the school, meet lots of people, and make a difference for your student and others! A volunteer is needed for the 1st Vice President position! No experience is needed! This is a position that shadows the president for a year, with the thought of becoming the next president. Please contact Tricia Monroe at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more! ALSO, still looking for a volunteer (or two) to be the Bulldog BBQ Lead person. This person will work with Mr. Van Trees (BBQ sponsor) and Tricia Monroe to finalize plans and help coordinate the annual Bulldog BBQ. No experience needed! Please contact Tricia at email@example.com Please help make a positive impact on all Westfield students, staff, and families.
- Silent Auction Donations Sought: The 2017-2018 school year is fast approaching! During the Bulldog BBQ, there will be a silent auction which is the main fundraiser for the WHS PTSA operating budget. With this money as well as membership dues and general donations, the PTSA is able to sponsor parent programs through the year, offer teacher grants, hold teacher appreciation luncheons and events, provide scholarships, offer technology support, and much more. Donations are currently being sought for this year’s silent auction. Do you have anything to donate? Or know a company who would be willing to donate? Nothing is too big or too small! The PTSA is a 501(c)3 organization and a tax donation letter is available for all who donate. Please contact Maria Rudolph at firstname.lastname@example.org to donate! Thank you!
- Bulldog BBQ Tuesday, Aug 22nd(5:00 -7:30 p.m.)! Students and Families: Please make plans to attend the Bulldog BBQ on August 22nd! This is the time to join the PTSA, check out and bid on the awesome items at the silent auction, learn about clubs and activities, purchase and enjoy food from one of the local restaurants or from some of our Korean families (thank you for organizing Ms. Kim), purchase class spirit wear, pick up schedules, catch up with friends and neighbors and more!
- Silent Auction Information: The silent auction will run online from 8/15 to 8/21, when bidding will stop and transition to the live event at the Bulldog BBQ on 8/22. Even if you cannot attend the BBQ, you can still bid on items and support the event! Please watch for the link to the online bidding soon!
- Essential Forms Volunteers Needed: Every student is required to turn in the “essential forms” before receiving his/her schedule. Forms may be turned in on Friday, August 18th and Monday, August 21st and during the Bulldog BBQ. Volunteers have been requested on the 18th and 21st to help with forms collection. The shifts are 9 am to noon and noon to 3 pm. Please sign up
- Bulldog BBQ Volunteers Needed: Many volunteers will be needed for the Bulldog BBQ! Details and shifts are listed here Please sign up to help for a bit!
- Donation toward technology! Through donations and fundraising efforts of the 2016-2017 PTSA, we were able to present Dr. Copeland with a $5,200 check which will be used toward upgrading technology! Thank you to everyone who was involved! With the FCPS budget as it is, funding for technology is not sufficient and efforts of the community are needed to help. We will continue raising funds this school year. Please be part of the difference for all of our students!
- Summer Assignments Links: Click here for summer assignments. Summer has been short but the summer assignments still have to get done!
- Westfield Reads Summer Assignment: All students and staff members are required to read Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. Students may choose the young adult version, if they prefer. http://laurahillenbrandbooks.com/ and young adult version information
- Interested in a parking pass? The online student parking application is still open! Students should go to the Westfield website to carefully review the application process and get the link to complete the online application packet using your FCPS Google account. All details about turning in the paperwork and the parking meetings in August can be found at: https://westfieldhs.fcps.edu/resources/parking-students
- Parking Spot Raffle: Students – nervous that you’ll be parking at the Cub Run Rec Center end of the parking lot? Want to be closer to the door so you get into the building faster? The PTSA will hold a raffle for 2 of the front row student parking spaces! Tickets will be available for purchase at the PTSA table during the Bulldog BBQ and at both parking meetings on 8/24. $5 for one ticket and $20 for 5 tickets. If your raffle ticket wins, you will trade your parking pass for the close one!
- Free Heart Screenings: In honor of Conor Bouveron, the Ryan Lopynski Big Heart Foundation and the WHS PTSA are sponsoring a free EKG screening at Westfield on Saturday, September 23rd from 9 am to 1 pm. EKGs can help identify and prevent sudden cardiac arrest, a leading cause of death in young people. Registration is open for 12 to 26 year olds. Interested in registering or donating to the foundation? Click here for more information and to register.
- Back to School Night - There will be one back-to-school night for all grades on Tuesday, September 12th. Details to follow but plan to arrive early to avoid the parking craziness! The Bulldog Cafe will be open early with food available for purchase. Please don't miss this opportunity to hear from your student's teachers!
- Turbo Tutoring SAT and ACT Prep: SAT and ACT prep classes are offered by Turbo Tutoring throughout the year. For information and to register, click here. The first SAT classes are this month.
- 2017 All Night Grad Party Donor Thank Yous! The 2017 ANGP was a success thanks to many volunteers of course, but also because of the willingness of many families and businesses to donate to the event. Donations included items for prizes, food to feed the graduates and volunteers, and monetary ones to offset the cost of the event or purchase prizes. Thank you to all who donated—your support was a tremendous help!
At Home, Chantilly
Cheryl Folmer, Realtor
Chick fil A at Chantilly Air and Space Museum Parkway and FFC
Dollar Tree, Sully Shopping Center
George Mason University Bookstore
Giant Food, Centreville
Hair Cuttery, Stone Rd.
James Madison University Book Store
Jersey Mikes, Chantilly
Olive Garden, Fair Oaks
Family Donations: Afferton, Bremer, Carper, Cooke, Hagemeier, Loebl, McDermott, Khan, Render, Sankineni, Shank, Shirley, Stein, Weston
- FCPS 2017-2018 Calendar: You can see next year’s school calendar Remember, school starts August 28th
- News You Can Choose: To sign up for News You Can Choose notifications from the PTSA, follow this link: click here
- mySATAdvisor.com: An option for SAT prep is mySATadvisor.com Online, unlimited practice and analytics on College Board tests and other popular test publishers. Improve speed and accuracy, practice missed or bookmarked questions, and more. Use promo code WHSPTSA20 for a 20% discount.
- FCPS Parent Resource Center:There are many resources available at the FCPS Parent Resource center. For information and to register for classes, visit
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpageEvery order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you!
- Have something about a club, team, or class at Westfield that you’d like in the e-blast?Send a request to email@example.com
Know someone new to Westfield next year? Please encourage them to join the PTSA and sign up for the PTSA’s eblasts!
No longer have a student at Westfield? To unsubscribe, use the link below.
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.