PTSA E-Tidbit News
2/20/17 PTSA E-Blast
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)!
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
2/23 – Band Pre-Festival Concert, 7 pm
2/24 – Bingo Night, 7 pm
2/25 – Practice SAT/ACT
2/25 – Turbo Tutoring Prep Class
2/25 – Chorus breakfast fundraiser at Applebee’s
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Practice SAT or ACT, February 25th: Last chance to register! The PTSA and Kaplan are sponsoring a practice test on Saturday, February 25th. Students register to take a full-length test of either the SAT or the ACT. Scores are for student use only, and are not reported to the test companies. The cost is $20, with payment made to the PTSA. To register, click here.
- Bingo Night: Mark your calendar! There will be a Bingo night this Friday, February 24th in the cafeteria! Doors open at 7 and bingo begins at 7:30. Great prizes and raffles available, plus concessions will be sold. The registration form is attached or click here to download the form. Walk-ins welcome.
- PTSA Board Opening: The PTSA has an opening for the 1st Vice President spot. This position supports the President and learns the role, with the anticipation of becoming the future President (2018-2019 school year). If you are interested or have questions, please contact Tricia Monroe at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2017 Mulch Sale and Delivery: The annual mulch sale has begun! Delivery will take place on April 21st and 22nd. To order online, click here. To download the order form, click here. Bags are $5 each, with $2.60 of each bag ordered being tax deductible. The mulch spreading service is being sold and is available for customers who purchase mulch through the mulch sale. Both the mulch and the spreading service sell out each year. Order early – we are already 60% sold out! Free delivery is available for orders of 15 bags or more to WHS boundary addresses and parking lot pick up is available at Westfield for orders under 15 bags and those outside WHS boundaries.
- 2nd Quarter “A Day” raffle winners: Congratulations to the many students who won prizes in the “A Day” raffles and congratulations to all students for their hard work and earning all those fantastic grades! We hope even more students will earns “A’s” 3rd quarter! Thank you to Chick-fil-A at FFC and Chipotle for donating coupons for the event and to Dr. Copeland for sponsoring a lunch! Student winners were: Chick-fil-A gift card: Abby Mun, Thomas Nash, Ben Neubauer, Sean Ortiz, Yansy Piheda. Chick-fil-A coupon: Diana Gallegos, Mina Islampoor, LIgia Mariela Flores, Anthony Kang, Kaylynn Nguyen, Jalen Pinnix, Hebah Rayyah, Sophia Vlattas, Shalen. Chipotle gift card: Dina Chatila, Anikait Day, Al-Noor Ikram, Jessica Nguyen, Gracie Wright. Chipotle coupon: Nahyan Bae, Amanda Kronimus, Ainsley Miller, Krithik Nadella, Phoebe Nyantakyi, Joana Ramos. Game Stop gift card: James Caputo, Brendan Fitzgerald, Jonathan Pokrant, Jugaad Sarkaria, Darwin Silva. Starbucks gift card: Jazmine Buswad, Anashka Kyatham, Breanna Peele, Elayna Render, Sneha Suha. Sunoco gift card: Grace Smallwood. Lunch with Dr. Copeland: Ria Veshmalen and a friend. We apologize for any misspellings – the names are taken from the student handwritten raffle tickets!
- 2nd Quarter “A Day” celebration Thank you: Thank you to the parent volunteers who distributed over 1,500 raffle tickets to students for the “A’s” they earned during 2nd quarter! Thank you to Amanda Bremer, Mindy Conway, Kristin Finn, Lisa Hart, Andrea Jacobs, Julie LeVine, Nancy Loebl, Tricia Monroe, Kristin Robinson, Mary Rubens, Diane Spindle, and Nisa Stein.
- Neil McNerney Presentation was a success! Thank you to Tanya Easley for organizing the event and to all who attended!
- Please join the PTSA if you haven’t already: It’s not too late to join the PTSA! Please be part of the difference that the PTSA makes at Westfield! Join online here or using the link online, print the form and send in to the main office.
- BITS Tutoring - Free! BITS runs up to 3 Saturday mornings per month. Student tutors are needed and earn service hours for their time! To be eligible for tutoring, students must attend Westfield or any of the schools that feed to Westfield (elementary and middle). For information and to see the required forms, click here Everyone must arrive on time. No late arrivals will be admitted. February 25th is the next BITS tutoring date.
- Turbo-Tutoring: This Saturday, 2/25, is the next SAT prep class at Westfield, plus classes through the summer have been scheduled. To see the calendar and to register for a one-day seminar for SAT or ACT prep, click here or see the flier attached at the bottom of the e-blast. It’s not too late to register.
- Chorus’s Applebee’s Flapjack Fundraiser: Chorus will be hosting a pancake fundraiser on Saturday, February 25th from 8 am to 10 am. $10 at the door includes pancakes, eggs, sausage, and a beverage. This will be at the Applebee’s in Westone Plaza, Chantilly (down the street from WHS). Everyone welcome!
- Fairfax Council of PTA’s Conference on Supporting Diverse Students in the Classroom, 3/2/17 from 6-9 pm at Annandale HS: Come learn about efforts to support students with diverse needs in the classroom. Guest speakers are Leticia Braga and Carmen Sanchez from the U.S. Department of Education Special Education department. The event is free but pre-registration is required. Click here to register.
- Senior Parent Meeting: Senior Parents – please mark your calendars for the “70 Days Until Graduation” Senior Parent meeting on April 6th at 7 pm. Come learn about everything related to graduation (June 15th at 7:30 pm), including ticket information (yes, tickets are required), rehearsal information (required for all students who will be graduating), prom information (May 13th), Mulch Day (April 21-22), All Night Grad Celebration, and much more!
- New for the 2017-2018 school year: WHS will be offering a new science course-Genetics and Biotechnology available for juniors and seniors! Please have your student talk to his/her counselor soon for more information and to sign up!
- Understanding Financial Aid Award Letters: On March 11th from 9-11 am at Oakton High School, College Access Fairfax will present “Make a Wise Decision: Understanding Financial Aid Award Letters”. Space is limited. To register, visit here.
- Westfields Triathlon: The Westfield Business Owner’s Association is sponsoring the 5th annual Westfields Triathlon on April 30th! The WBOA is a fantastic business partner for our school! Please consider supporting the triathlon as a participant or volunteer! For information, click here.
- College Partnership Program: Applications for the College Partnership Program are being accepted now. The College Partnerships Program assists students who are traditionally underrepresented in higher education such as first generation, African American, American Indian, Alaskan native, Hispanic, limited English proficient, students with disabilities or economically disadvantaged students. See Mrs. Campbell, Maggie Craig, or Bobby Snyder, CPP advocates, for more information or to request an application. Or, visit here. Applications accepted January 18 – March 31, 2017.
- FCPS Parent Resource Center: There are many resources available at the FCPS Parent Resource center. For information and to register for classes, visit here.
- FCPS Summer Classes: Information regarding a wide variety of summer classes through FCPS is available here. Many registration windows opened February 1st.
- News You Can Use: If you haven’t already done so, please register to receive PTSA updates through the FCPS News You Can Use program. It’s a bit cumbersome to register but this is the main way the PTSA will be able to send messages (other than the eblasts and Facebook) in the near future. To register: Go to FCPS.edu; Scroll to the bottom then click on the mustard yellow banner “Stay Updated with What’s Happening at FCPS with News You Can Choose; Click the “Sign Up Now box; Enter your email address and click “submit”; Find the button for “High Schools” and select “Westfield”; Choose first line “News and Announcements” then choose second line “PTSA” and click submit. You will see a green banner with a check mark and “Subscriptions Updated”. While in the system, you can opt for other areas of interest as well.
- Athletic Teams Calendar: To see the games/matches/meets for all WHS athletic teams, click here!
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you!
- Silent Fundraisers: We participate in several store school support programs, such as Giant’s A+ School Rewards and Harris Teeter’s Together in Education program. You DO have to relink your Harris Teeter card each year but you do not have to relink your Giant card (but please check to ensure that you’ve designated Westfield!) Please check out this link for more information!
- Have something about a club, team, or class at Westfield that you’d like in the e-blast? Send a request to email@example.com
Congratulations to the following male WHS swimmers who placed in the finals at the state meet: Boys 200 Medley Relay team of Max Kuranda, Ben Neubauer, Leo Wang, and Alan Zhai (2nd and new team record) Leo Wang (3rd in 100 Breaststroke/new team record), Alan Zhai (14th in 100 Fly)!
Congratulations to the following female WHS swimmers who placed in the finals at the state meet: Olivia Masterson (7th in 100 Breaststroke; 11th in 200 IM), Sarah Boyle (7th in 100 Fly; 15th in 100 Back)! 3 relay teams placed in the finals! Team of Sarah Boyle, Allison Hickey, Didi Pace, and Katie Sanfield – 200 freestyle relay (8th and new team record) and 400 freestyle relay (7th). Team of Allison Hickey, Sydney Loper, Olivia Masterson, and Didi Pace – 200 Medley Relay (12th place)!
Congratulations to the following wrestlers who placed at the state event: Will Lisenby (3rd) and Hunter Tibbetts (6th)!
The Science Olympiad team is going to states! Good luck!
Congratulations to Talley Lott who is the track regional champion in 300 meters! Good luck to all track athletes at states!
Good luck to all students trying out for spring sports!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.