PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 3-12-15
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
3/14 & 3/21: BITS tutoring (free/library-9:30-11 am)
3/13: Boys Basketball State Semi-Final Game (@ VCU)
3/14: Chorus Fundraiser @ Applebees (8-10 am)
3/16: Teacher Workday/No school for students
3/18: 3 Months ‘Til Graduation Meeting, 7 pm
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Seniors and Senior Parents: 3 Months ‘til Graduation Meeting: On March 18th at 7 pm in the cafeteria, there will be an informative meeting where you will learn about all things related to graduation, including tickets, times, caps/gowns, etc.
- Mulch Sale: The annual mulch sale is going on now and sales eligible for delivery (15+ bag orders) are over 75% sold out! Get high quality, double shredded hardwood mulch delivered to your home (Westfield boundaries only). $4.95/bag with $2.65/bag being tax-deductible (please consult your tax advisor). To order, visit PTSA Website and click on “Order Mulch”. You may order online or print the order form and mail it to the office along a check.
- Mulch Weekend Volunteers: Hundreds of student AND adult volunteers are needed to make mulch weekend successful. Please mark your calendars for April 11th and plan to help. It’s an awesome community spirited event and there will be prizes for students. Parents Sign up: Adult mulch day volunteers sign up here and Students Sign up at: Student mulch day volunteers sign up here
- Food Donations for Mulch Day: Please consider donating to the food tent for mulch day. To see what is needed, please click here: Mulch Day Food Donations . Any donation you are able to make is appreciated.
- Seniors—Mulch Day Special Drawing: Every senior who volunteers at mulch day will be entered into a special drawing for a free ticket to the ANGP!
- Seniors and Senior Parents: ANGP Update – Tickets for the Class of 2015 All Night Grad Celebration (ANGP) are on sale and prices go up March 31st. This year’s event will be held at the Alto Plaza. Tickets are currently $65 per person. For more information and to purchase a ticket, visit PTSA Website Questions? Contact Aimee Lowry or Ellen Ryder (co-chairs) at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Boys Basketball State Semi-Final Game, Friday 3/13 at 7:15 pm at VCU. Game and ticket information can be found at: VCU game info Good luck to the team and coaches! If you can go, please do! What a great way to show school pride and spirit!
- Seniors and Parents - WeStep Program: Last year, WHS instituted the Westfield Senior Transition Enrichment Program, known as WeStep which successfully helped place 44 seniors in local internships. If your senior has a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher and good attendance, then he or she has the opportunity to participate in a two week internship from May 27th through June 10th, in lieu of attending classes. The goal is to give students the opportunity to become immersed in a field they are considering. Students are responsible for obtaining their approved internships, and they must provide their own transportation. A copy of the WeStep internship application will soon be posted under the Students link on the PTSA Website or your senior can stop by room A112 or email Ms. Lee at email@example.com with questions.
- WeStep Sponsors Needed: The WeStep program is looking for internship sponsors! There are several students who are looking for internships in the following areas: Accounting, Business, Sales, Marketing, Aerospace Technology, Engineering, Information Technology, Medicine, Physical Therapy, Computer Science, Graphic Design, Law Offices, Law Enforcement, the Fire Department and other related fields.If you or a friend, neighbor, spouse, etc. would be willing to part of our program, please email Patty Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 703-288-6464. The internships placements are for our brightest students with high GPAs; nevertheless, the extent of their responsibilities could vary depending upon the career field legalities and/or sponsor’s comfort level. The internship dates are May 27th through June 10th and the hours are flexible. A sponsor letter will posted on the PTSA Website under “Students-WeStep” soon. Thank you for your consideration and help!
- Interims were distributed today during 2nd period Bulldog Block.
- 2nd Quarter Honor Roll Certificates were distributed this week via 7th period classes. Thank you to Andria Gregory, Regina Seetoo and Mary Ann Cox for their time and effort with the certificates. Also, a big thank you to Jennifer Campbell and Debbie Grimmig (staff members) for the time they put into creating the honor roll lists. The weather and a new FCPS computer system caused an uncontrollable delay with the information this quarter. Our PTSA volunteers worked extra hard and quick to get the certificates out as quickly as possible.
- 2nd Quarter PTSA Honor Roll Gift Card Drawings: On Friday, 3/14, the 2nd quarter gift card winners will be announced during the morning news. The students’ names will also be displayed on the TV screens around the school. Congratulations to all students on the honor roll and an extra congratulations to this quarter’s drawing winners! They each win a gift card to Chick-Fil-A.
- Chorus Fundraiser: Saturday, 3/14 from 8 am to 10 am, Chorus is holding a Flapjack fundraiser at the Applebee’s at 4995 Westone Plaza Drive. Breakfast includes pancakes, sausage, scrambled eggs, coffee, tea, juice and soda.
- Turbo-Tutoring: The next Turbo-Tutoring session at Westfield is on April 25. turbo-tutoring.com
- WHS PTSA Scholarship Applications are available on the PTSA website. The deadline is April 27th at 2:30 pm.
- WHS PTSA Membership; It’s not too late to be a member of the WHS PTSA this school year! PTSA Website
- WHS National History Day: Congratulations to Westfield’s National History Day winners! The following students advanced to the district level competition: Maya Acharya, Nava Ahmadi, Wednesday Amaya, Porsche Amaya, Freshta Anwari, Elizabeth Barron, Jessica Camarata, Megan Dennis, Hannah Estes, Dana Gilroy, Khala Halbert, Alexis Jackson, Sungmin Kang, Patrick Kearney, Isabel Kearsley, Lucas Kremer, Kylie Lanigan, Alexa McAnally, Ariana Miller, Celeste Rogers, Nicole Ruckert, Zack Schwartz, Alyssa Szmerekovsky, and Zachary Szmerekovsky. Through a PTSA mini-grant, the students’ entrance fees for the district competition were paid for by the PTSA.
- Upcoming Sully Station Seminars: April 8th at 7:30 pm: Narcotics information seminar for adults/parents only. May 13th at 7:30 pm: Internet Safety and Sexting information seminar. Community members are invited to attend.
- Congratulations to Johnny Pace who is the STATE CHAMPION in the Indoor Track mile! Johnny won the race during the state meet this week!
- Rally in Richmond: The Va PTA and Virginia Education Association have partnered to lead, Put Kids First, a movement to change the future of education in Virginia: how its funded, how its prioritized and the mandates surrounding testing. Parents, teachers and students are invited to be part of the rally in Richmond on April 18, 2015 (Rally Flier) and/or share personal stories about the effect continued reductions in funding have had on your students. Share stories at GoodforVirginia.org/PutKidsFirst Statements from teachers and parents make the message strong.
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.