Mulch Event FAQs
Some common questions:
Yes! Please consider donating food to help feed the many volunteers! The link is here.
Yes! It makes checking in a whole lot easier! It also allows us to properly track and credit all of your volunteer hours.
NO! We can always use more volunteers! More volunteers=less work for everyone!
It's okay. There will be a separate check in line for students who do not have their bar code. It might take a little longer, so please be patient.
When you signed up, you could have designated up to three groups to receive credit for your volunteer hours. Once all hours are completed, the TIPS money will divided among all groups based on total volunteer hours.
If you forgot to designate a group, please send an email us with your name and the group information. We will make adjustments.
This is okay. You do not need to sign up again. Come when you are able. Please remember to bring either the printout of the bar code you received when you registered, or bring your phone with that email.
We will have nearly 13,000 bags of mulch to deliver, rain or shine! Please come help, no matter the weather! We can't do it without you!
Drivers of Students:
Please enter the school parking lot at the entrance with the tall marquee. Follow signs. You will enter the line and be matched up with students (unless you already have a group) and then a mulch truck. PLEASE BE PATIENT, especially at the beginning of a shift when there may be a large group waiting to go out. It sometimes takes awhile for the process to get going and everyone is a volunteer. If you already have a group of students and do not have room for more, follow the directions of the volunteer. If you have room for students, please let the volunteer know and he/she will match you with a group of students.
- Arrive at or before your shift time. If you are being dropped off, there will be a designated drop off area. Use the entrance by the tall marquee (kiss-and-ride entrance) and follow signs.
- Proceed to the student check in area, which will be near the press box.
- Check in
- After checking in - If you are driving yourself or know the adult driver you will be riding with, that car should enter the line to be matched up with a delivery truck. If you are not driving yourself or have a predetermined adult driver, please go to the "Student Staging Area" where you will be matched with a driver.
- Please be patient, especially if you are in the first shift of the day. It takes a little while to get everyone matched up and on the way.
- Your vehicle will follow a mulch truck to the delivery addresses. Deliveries are made in Herndon, Chantilly, and Centreville to Westfield boundary addresses.
- A designated person or group should knock on the customer door to alert them to your presence.
- Customers will be asked to mark the area for delivery. Mulch may ONLY be delivered in the front of the house, preferably at the end of the driveway but please observe delivery designations if they are there. Delivery instructions that are given ahead of time will be marked on the delivery paperwork that the truck navigator has. You may not take mulch to the back of a customer's home.
- Help unload and neatly stack the mulch. Most customers prefer that the mulch be stacked in piles of 5.
- Double check the amount of mulch the customer ordered (see the delivery paperwork). PLEASE be careful to deliver the correct amount. There are many customers who ordered in increments of 5 bags, which makes it easy to count. However, many did not. So please count carefully.
- Remember to use proper lifting techniques. Do not strain your back.
- When your truck is empty, return to Westfield for reloading. Be sure to stop by the food tent to pick up a snack and water! Stay hydrated! Please return to your vehicle asap so you can head back out.
- When it is time for you to go, please be sure to check out, so your time is properly credited. You will receive raffle tickets to enter into the prize drawings. Raffle tickets are distributed based on hours worked and whether you brought your bar code. Adult volunteers can also give out extra raffle tickets!
- If you can stay longer than your shift, we would LOVE to have you continue helping. It takes a lot of work to deliver all that mulch!
- Please pick up trash when you see it. We are all volunteers and your help is needed to keep the area neat!
Students, please be prepared to get dirty. Wear old clothes and shoes that can get dirty. We advise either heavy boots (work boots) or tennis shoes. If you have gardening or leather work gloves, you may find these helpful. If the weather is sunny, you may want to wear a hat and sun screen.
Adults: You do not need to carry mulch, but we still recommend that you wear clothes and shoes that get get dirty. You never know.
We also recommend that you bring a jacket or sweatshirt or rain gear, just in case!
Also, don't forget a phone charger and car adapter! Having a charged phone is important for check in/out as well as delivery locations information (should your group get separated).
Other questions? Contact Us
Thanks for your interest, but we are
sold out of mulch bags
as of 6pm March 27, 2017
WHS Annual Bagged Mulch Sale
to benefit the Safe & Sober All-Night Grad Party
Orders must be placed by April 14, 2017
For Delivery or Pick up on the April 21 & 22, 2017
Total Delivery Orders limited! Order Early to Ensure Delivery!
Contact: Mulch Chair with any questions.
This is the major fundraiser to support a fun, safe and sober graduation party for the Class of 2017, as well as other vital PTSA programs. We rely on your support!
Get high-quality, double shredded hardwood mulch delivered right to your driveway (WHS boundaries only) at a great price and for a great cause.